Edvantis and Modul-System Sweden AB jointly delivered a connected portable conductor device and ticketing POS app for Greater Stockholm Local Transit Authority.
Storstockholms Lokaltrafik AB (SL, or Greater Stockholm Local Transit Company) is a city-owned public transit company, providing all land transportation services in Stockholm county. Every day, SL serves over 2.8 million passengers, traveling on bus, metro, tram and suburban rail lines.
As part of their vision of developing a “sustainable and attractive transport system that would contribute to making Stockholm Europe’s most attractive metropolitan region”, SL was seeking a technological partner to create a new portable ticketing device for conductors.
- Replace the previously used SK-20 ticketing device and application with a newer Android Famoco model — offering more convenient dimensions, a bigger screen and up-to-date UI.
- Preserve functionality from the earlier app, plus incorporate extra integrations of third-party products into the handheld conductor device.
Modul-System – a market leader in ticketing and payment systems in Scandinavia – and Edvantis were selected among several candidates to deliver the project, based on our prior experience with BKU.
Meet BKU (Bärbar Konduktör Utrustning) – a Connected Ticketing Device Delivered by Edvantis
The new device serves as a cash register, e-ticketing machine, and validator for SL’s transport cards, meeting all the needs of passengers and conductors. It comes equipped with:
- A wide 5” inch screen
- An 8MP rear camera
- Long-lasting battery of 4000mAh
In addition, the ticketing device has universal connectivity — NFC, 4G. Bluetooth 4.2 BLE and GPS — so that it can work properly in the field at all times.
|NFC||ISO14443 A/B Felica, Mifare|
|Screen||5″ HVGA (854×480 pixels)|
|Wifi||Dual-band (2.4 & 5Ghz)|
|Communication||2G & 3G & 4G|
|Dual SIM||2 SIM slots|
|SAM slot||1 slot 2FF|
Solutions Delivered by Edvantis
Modul-System contributed a wealth of product knowledge, while Edvantis provided software engineering services.
- Developed xBKU on Android mobile app and helped integrate the solution into the SL Access infrastructure.
- Worked closely with Famoco to custom-tune Famoco Firmware.
- Leveraged our UX/UI design expertise to deliver a user-friendly and ergonomic solution that adheres to Swedish Work Environment Authority requirements.
- Provided a flexible xBKU application architecture so that the solution could be easily adopted by other transport operators with little-to-no-customization.
We Achieved Great Results Together!
We have helped SL meet all the governmental requirements and pioneer a new connected ticketing device, offering a top-notch experience to passengers and conductors.
The updated solution of xBKU has been introduced also for Waxholms Ångfartygs AB (WÅAB) – a shipping company responsible for seaborne public transport in Stockholm archipelago and harbor.