Modulsystem Sweden AB partnered with Edvantis to develop a connected portable ticketing device for conductors and a point of sale mobile application.
About the Company
Stockholm’s Lokaltrafik AB (SL) also known as the Greater Stockholm Local Transit Company, is a publicly-owned transit company, providing all land transportation services in Stockholm County. Every day, SL serves more than 2.8 million passengers, traveling on buses, and metro, tram, and suburban rail lines.
As part of their vision of developing a sustainable and appealing transport system with the goal of making Stockholm Europe’s most attractive metropolitan region, SL sought a technology partner to develop a new portable ticketing device for their conductors.
After careful consideration, SL chose Modulsystem, a leading ticketing and payment system provider in Scandinavia, and Edvantis as their partners for this project. Their selection was based on our prior experience with a project for Bärbar Konduktör Utrustning (BKU).
“Edvantis produced streamlined deliverables that generated a positive reception from internal stakeholders. The team is ambitious and engaged in the projects, enabling minimal oversight and effective collaboration.”Torbjörn Henryson, Modulsystem Business Developer
- Replace the old ticketing device and application with a newer Android Famoco model
- Retain the functionality of the old version in the new app
- Integrate additional third-party applications
NodeJS, Express, MongoDB, React, Redux, Docker, Linux
Edvantis created a connected ticketing device called a Bärbar Konduktör Utrustning (BKU). This new device serves as a cash register, an e-ticketing machine, and a validator for SL’s transport cards, meeting the needs of both passengers and conductors.
It comes equipped with a wide 5-inch screen, an 8-megapixel rear camera, and a long-lasting 4000mAh battery. Moreover, the ticketing device in equipped with universal connectivity ensuring reliable performance in the field at all times.
Modulsystem contributed a wealth of product knowledge, while Edvantis provided software engineering services, including:
- Developing the xBKU Android mobile app and seamlessly integrating it into the SL Access infrastructure
- Collaborating closely with Famoco to custom-tune the Famoco Firmware
- Utilizing our design expertise to deliver a user-friendly and ergonomic solution that complies with Swedish Work Environment Authority requirements
- Offering flexible xBKU application architecture that makes it easily adaptable for other transport operators with minimal customization
Working together, we helped SL meet all government requirements and pioneer an innovative connected ticketing device, enhancing the experience of both passengers and conductors.
The updated xBKU solution has also been implemented for Waxholms Ångfartygs AB (WÅAB) – a shipping company responsible for seaborne public transport in Stockholm archipelago and harbor.